Monday, January 24, 2011

Chapter 1: Question & Discussion

A task I ask my students to do is a spelling word sort. This is an independent task done weekly during literacy centers. We have been doing spelling word sorts since November and many of my students are familiar with them and the directions as to how to do them. However, for some of my students who show signs of having low working memory, each week this task poses a challenge for them because they do not remember the multiple step directions and in which order to do them to complete this task.
In order for these students to be successful in doing this task I help them by writing the directions on the board using simple wording. (1. cut 2. sort by (ch/wh) 3. glue) along with the direction I also use picture cues. Another way I help them is by making a directions check list for their desk. They can check off a box as each direction is done. Finally, I always check in with them during the task to make sure they are on task and understanding what they are doing.

3 comments:

Kelli said...

I have also used this strategy with my class. Breaking multiple step directions down with visuals also is helpful, especially for those below grade level in reading, so that they can see what to do next.

amiee said...

Visuals are always helpful with accompanying simple language. Hopefully with the same process repeated each week, the students will begin to internalize it and have to rely less on reading the checklist. Also, having the time to create visuals for simple individual tasks is difficult to do on a daily basis.

Cindy said...

Kathryn I agree with you that checklists are so helpful. I especially like how you make the check list short and simple with just a key word to help them remember the steps. Sometimes they just need one word to help trigger the memory of what to do.