Friday, January 28, 2011

Chapter 1

I introduce new vocabulary words each week. These words are often new to my students, and they come from various content areas across the curriculum. In order for the students to achieve success in mastering the proper definitions, I implement a series of mini-lessons during the week. One consists of brainstorming a list of synonyms and antonyms for each word. I record their responses on the white board, but later erase. Students use and hear the words in a complete, detailed sentence each day. They recognize the part of speech while hearing and using it in a sentence. A lesson they seem to enjoy is illustrating each of the vocabulary words. They share their illustration with a partner and use their drawing to write a sentence. However, after reading this chapter has humbled me and will allow me to revisit the style in which I introduce weekly vocabulary. Students who struggle with low working memory may face less of a challenge having 5 words introduced each day over a 3 day lesson. Also, having the words displayed on chart paper, with the defintion, part of speech, and used in a sentence may be benenficial to the students. Seeing the words in print throughout the day may be an advantage for those who have difficulty retaining information.

1 comment:

http://savannakitty.blogspot.com/ said...

Mosey - I love have the kids illustrate their vocabulary words. Each week my student make vocabulary cards and they put the word on one side and the definition and an illustration on the other side. I really like your idea of antonyms and synonyms. I do agree it might be better to introduce them in a staggered fashion rather than all in one day.