Friday, January 28, 2011

Chapter One

Gerri and I did discuss the problems with teaching students long division. I always use the "D,M,S,C,B". I require the students to check off each step as they go along.
Another area that I often see students struggling with is learning to multiply larger numbers. (3 digit by 2 digit) The students always get confused because they have to multiply the ones digit and then they have to multiply the tens digit too. What I found myself doing on the whiteboard was using a sticky note to cover the tens digit while we were multiplying the ones digit and then switching the sticky note over to the ones digit while we were multiplying the tens digit. It worked so well on the board that I gave the students a sticky note every day we practiced and they were able to remember what number needed to be multiplied 1st. It just allowed them to focus on one number at a time. Students with low working memory are not able to manipulate the numbers in their head and remember the steps involved in multiplying larger numbers. This simple task really helped each student learn the procedure quickly.

No comments: